It is said that essential oils were first used in 1910 when a French man, Maurice Gattefosse, burned his hand and plunged it into lavender oil. He found that the oil soothed his burns and healed them quickly. Today, many essential oils are used for treating all kinds of inflammation of the skin including ringworm, eczema, insect bites, cuts, scrapes and so on. In this guide, we will talk about the most effective essential oils for treating ringworm in cats, dogs and humans. Many of these oils can also be used to treat scalp ringworm fast.
Lavender oil ringworm treatment
Lavender oil is one of the most widely used essential oils. It can restore skin complexion and minimize acne. It is particularly beneficial in the treatment of eczema and psoriasis. It is known for its antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. It is also antioxidant and can fight and reverse environmental damage caused to the skin.
- To use lavender essential oil for ringworm in children and adults, mix it with carrier oils first. The best carrier oils include undiluted Jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil or avocado oil.
- Mix 5-10 drops of lavender oil in a tablespoon of any of the above carrier oils.
- Apply the mixture to the ringworm lesions on the underarms, arms, legs, toes, groin or other areas where the ringworm lesions may be present. Do not cover the area; let it dry naturally.
- Repeat application 3-4 times a day. The oil heals, soothes and prevents itchiness, inflammation and redness.
- You can also add 8-10 drops of the oil to your bathwater and soak in it.
- To make a skin nourishing cream to prevent future ringworm outbreaks, mix 10 drops of lavender oil with 1 ounce of Aloe Vera gel. This treatment rapidly heals the skin and prevents dryness, irritation and itching.
Oil of oregano ringworm treatment
Oregano essential oil is known to enhance the healing ability of the skin, which makes it one of the best essential oils for ringworm cure. It is anti-fungal in nature and can help fight yeast and Candida. You can even use Oregano oil for its anti parasitic, antibacterial and antiviral properties. To use oil of oregano ringworm treatment:
- Diffuse the essential oil around the house, especially while sleeping.
- You can use it as a mouthwash if you have fungal infection around the inner cheek, lips or tongue. It is a natural remedy for bad breath. Avoid taking oregano oil internally as it is very strong and can cause some burning and tingling sensation.
- Mix oil of oregano with Jojoba, almond or coconut oil and apply it to the ringworm on the body. Repeat application every 5-6 hours.
As stated above, never take Oregano essential oil internally as it can be very toxic.
Best essential oils for scalp ringworm
Cassia bark or cinnamon essential oil- This is the ultimate antioxidant and the strongest essential oil available. It has to be diluted more than other oils. It has excellent antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Reportedly, even Moses used this oil to protect his people from sickness and disease. Even 1 drop of concentrated cinnamon oil in bath water can burn the skin, so use it with great caution (remember it is extracted from the bark and not the leaves hence nearly 30 times stronger). In a study on cassia bark oil, it killed almost 75% of the bacteria, mold and fungus in the air. Never touch cinnamon oil directly. Add it to your diffusers to clear bacteria and fungi present in the air.
- To use it for scalp ringworm, mix 1 drop of pure cinnamon oil with ½ a cup of coconut or olive oil. Massage it into the scalp at night. Cover and leave overnight or for 8 hours. Wash off with anti-fungal shampoo the next day.
Tea tree oil (Melaleuca )for scalp ringworm
This is another great essential oil for skin and scalp ringworm in children and adults. You need to use it nonstop for 24 hours. It is readily available in shampoos which you can use 2 times a week to prevent and treat fungal infections of the scalp. You can use the diluted tea tree oil mixed with sandalwood essential oil to kill toe fungal infections or Athlete’s Foot. Mix the two oils (sandalwood and tea tree oil) with some cornstarch powder and put the mixture inside your socks to heal fungal infections of the feet. Here are some other ways to use Melaleuca or tea tree essential oil for quick ringworm cure:
- Diffuse it in the air to kill fungal spores
- Add 5 drops to your favorite shampoo to reduce dandruff
- Gargle with diluted oil to cure thrush and tongue fungus
- Apply directly to infections like Candida and yeast.
- Mix 50 drops of tea tree oil, 30 drops of Palmarosa oil with 3 drops of cassia or cinnamon bark oil. Soak toenails with fungus in the above mixture for 30-60 minutes.
Other essential oils for ringworm
- Oil of nutmeg– Add essential oil of nutmeg to salves to treat skin infections like eczema, psoriasis and ringworm.
- Clove essential oil- This herb ranks number 1 in the world for its antioxidant and antibacterial properties. It is the most powerful disinfectant available. It can kill Candida.
- Rosemary essential oil- Mix this oil with coconut oil and rub it on the feet to cure Athletes Foot.
Essential oils for ringworm in cats
The following blend of essential oils cured incurable ringworm in cats, as seen in this study:
- 5% Oregano essential oil plus 5% oil of Rosemary plus 2% essential oil of wild Thyme diluted in sweet almond oil. Apply the mixture to the infected cat
Many essential oils having antifungal properties and can be used in the treatment of ringworm. But research has shown that the best essentials oils to cure ringworm are tea tree, rosemary, lavender, oregano, cinnamon bark and thyme oils (the latter 3 are best for scalp ringworm infections). The most effective essential oil for treating ringworm in cats and kittens is a mixture of rosemary, wild thyme and oregano essential oils. Always try a small patch test on the skin first before using essential oil treatment for ringworm.