In this guide, we will review some of the best soaps for ringworm treatment. Using these, you can not only treat existing infections but also prevent new ones from occurring. Ringworm, as you probably already know, is a hard-to-treat skin disease caused by fungi. The reason why this infection is so difficult to get rid of is due to the fact that the fungal spores can live on surfaces such as carpets and floors for several days, often infecting other healthy people nearby. Thus, ringworm is a vicious skin disease which often appears to go away only to return in full swing. For ringworm infections on the body, scalp, toes, nails or the face and beard etc, several anti ringworm soaps, lotions and creams are available. These mainly work directly on the fungal spores to eradicate the infection.
Before considering what to look for when buying the right antifungal soap for ringworm treatment, let us consider some signs and symptoms of the disease in order to ascertain whether what you are suffering from is indeed ringworm:
- Ringworm usually starts in the form of an itchy, raised and scaly rash which slowly appears to clear in its centre leaving behind healthy skin. However, this central patch is surrounded by red, raised circular lesion which is extremely itchy.
- The rash can be seen on various body parts including scalp, groin, in between toes, on the nail bed, face or even in the beard.
- The fungal spores spread from one family member to another and being a contagious disease, it can afflict other healthy members.
- School going children and athletes are most prone to Tinea infections as they are in close contact with other sufferers.
Getting rid of ringworm: What soap should you use on the ringworm?
To get rid of ringworm on any part of the body, it is vital that you take the following steps:
- Clean all clothing, socks, underwear and all other items worn by the sufferer using some mild bleach and hot water. Dry the clothes on hottest dryer setting as far as the fabric allows.
- Avoid sharing personal items like clothing, shoes, socks, combs, brushes or razors etc as this can cause the fungus to spread.
- Bathe with the best antifungal soap for ringworm, most of which are readily available in top pharmacies like Walgreens™, CVS™ etc.
- In case of ringworm on the scalp or beard, you may use ketoconazole based shampoos, creams and lotions apart from the best antifungal ringworm soap on daily basis or as asked by your doctor.
Natural ingredients to look for in the best anti ringworm soap
- Tea tree Oil– Tea tree oil is a natural essential oil obtained from the Tea Tree found in Australia. It is known for its antifungal properties and today, many manufacturers use this oil for making shampoos or anti ringworm soap.Forces of Nature® is a top organic company having a range of fungal cleanse soaps for treating ringworm. They also have kits containing anti ringworm soap and lotions for daily use.
- Eucalyptus leaf oil– Eucalyptus oil based anti ringworm soap is also useful in combating this disease. Many customer reviews for Eucalyptus oil based soaps such as Defense® Soap claim having effectively cured persistent Tinea versicolor and other ringworm infections. Other active ingredients in this brand include Tea Tree oil and a blend of other essential oils. It is also available in gel or body wash forms.
- Sulfur based anti fungal soaps-Soaps with 10% sulfur are also very useful in treating ringworm infections and can be used for treating Tinea Flava and Versicolor, Jock Itch and Athlete’s Foot etc. Braunfels Labs® Fungal soap is an important brand in sulfur based anti ringworm soap.
How to use fungal soaps for treating ringworm?
It is important to choose the right antifungal ringworm soap by reading the ingredients on the product. Always test for skin sensitivities and allergies on small part of the skin before use. If sensitivity occurs, discontinue use.
Activate the bar cleansing anti ringworm soap by soaking it in water for half a minute. In case of gels or body washes for ringworm, add some warm water prior to use.Work up the soap into a creamy lather and use on the afflicted regions as well as healthy parts of the skin.Allow the lather/foam to remain on the skin for a few minutes, then wash off with warm water. Repeat daily even if the rash appears to improve. Ringworm infections have a tendency to come back, so it is essential that you practice good washing and cleaning habits using the best soaps for ringworm treatment.