Many ringworm sufferers report feeling sick, nauseated or ‘sick to the stomach’ as part of their ringworm symptoms. Needless to say, having these symptoms is no fun. Not only does the rash look ugly, it also makes one feel tired and ‘unclean’. Let us find out all about these side effects of ringworm in humans and ways to treat it.
Can Ringworm make you sick to your stomach?
Ringworm is a fungal skin infection. It causes a rash typically on the scalp, on the skin between the toes, in the groin or other areas of the body prone to sweating. Fungal infections like ringworm are very itchy and can cause cracking between the toes.
Some of the most common symptoms of ringworm are as follows:
- Flat spreading, ring shaped lesions
- Since the rash resembles many other kinds of skin rashes, including eczema, diagnosis in the early stages is often difficult. Many people believe that their ringworm rash is actually eczema and apply corticosteroid creams on it. These creams do nothing for the rash. In fact, many steroidal creams, when used for more than 3-4 days, get absorbed into the skin and can make you sick to the stomach. They may lead to headaches, nausea and other symptoms like fatigue or excess tiredness.
- Ringworm of the scalp is also often misdiagnosed in the early stages. Typically scalp ringworm causes redness, swelling, pus filled blisters or bumps and the infected hairs tend to get brittle and break off easily.
- Feet- Ringworm in the skin between the feet can also cause itchy, blisters with watery fluid in them. Such rashes are misdiagnosed as scabies and the wrong medicine taken for it could make you sick.
Your pet may be making you sick
Most people blame their ringworm on other human carriers. However, in majority of the ringworm cases, the pets are responsible for the illness in humans. In fact; according to a research, pets can transmit as many as 150 different types of infections to their humans and ringworm is the most common among them. So, if your pet has recently been scratching, make sure you examine it thoroughly and rule out ringworm. If a diagnosis has already been made, do ensure that you treat it immediately with vet approved products. Many antifungal shampoos and gels are available in the market and you can use them to heal your pet’s ringworm rashes. You must treat all the pets in your house and also clean their environment using the following tips:
- Wash all pet bedding in hot water
- Clean the pet’s toys with bleach or other disinfecting solutions.
- Vacuum all rugs and carpets. You must also steam clean them.
- Clean the upholstery, linen, bed sheets etc in hot water or disinfecting soap.
- Wash the kennels/pets’ home with bleach.
Continue using the antifungal medicines as directed on the pet.
How is Ringworm treated in humans?
In mild cases, ringworm can be treated without medicines. You can use anti-fungal soaps and shampoos on the rash. Alternatively, you can try home remedies like organic apple cider vinegar which has helped many people prevent the rash from spreading.
In very severe cases, you will need prescription strength medicines. However, these oral anti-fungal medicines can make you feel sick, tired and drained.Take the medicines with some food to prevent symptoms like nausea. Also make sure you complete the dose otherwise the infection can come back.
Ringworm scalp- home remedies
- Keep your scalp clean. Wash your hair frequently using an anti-fungal shampoo.
- Wash all of your clothing, bed sheets, pillow cases and towels in hot water and disinfecting solutions such as bleach or vinegar. Also wash you combs and hair brushes in bleach or vinegar.
- Avoid sharing these personal items with other members.
- Use a bathroom and floor cleaner containing a fungicidal agent. Wipe down all surfaces with these products.
Ringworm of the groin- Home treatment
Ringworm of the groin (in females or males) is harder to treat, and often, in females it may be misdiagnosed as Candida. Candida is a yeast infection that could make you sick to your stomach. Here are some home remedies:
- Apply anti-fungal ointments on the groin rash. Use the cream for at least 4 weeks even if the rash has gone away. In case of severe rash, take oral medicines for 4 weeks.
- Bathe frequently.
- You can also apply tea tree oil, bleach or apple cider vinegar on the groin rashes.
How long does ringworm last?
Ringworm lasts for around 4 weeks. You must continue applying the cream or taking the oral medication, even if it makes you sick. Talk to your doctor if your nausea persists. This way, s/he can change the medication or at least give you some tips that can prevent sickness.
Conclusion: Can ringworm make you sick?
Ringworm can be an elusive disease and is often misdiagnosed as something else. In early stages, it can be taken for eczema, scabies or other skin diseases. Misdiagnosis also leads to wrong medication which can make you sick to the stomach. Also, many oral medicines prescribed for ringworm itself can also give you side effects like tiredness, fatigue, nausea or diarrhea. If symptoms persist, talk to your doctor about a change. You can also use resources on this site to find other all-natural and holistic remedies for ringworm. Do note that recurrent ringworm infection could indicate weak immunity and other underlying diseases which may be making you sick. Talk to your doctor about ways in which you can strengthen your immune system.