If you have been consistently suffering from ringworm for years and your doctor has prescribed every possible known ringworm cure for it then, you are likely suffering from what is known as treatment resistant ringworm. This can be highly frustrating not just to the sufferer but also to his/her family members.
What you need to know about treatment resistant ringworm? Is there no cure at all?
Here are a few factors to note about treatment resistant ringworm and its cure.
Could it be something else?
If your (or your child’s) ringworm has been recurring consistently for years, it is vital that you visit a specialist (dermatologist) who might take a culture/biopsy of the skin. Many times, people looking for ringworm cure actually need treatment for some other skin condition (including inflammatory skin disease called Granuloma annulare). Many skin diseases present symptoms similar to those of ringworm.
The disease might need multiple ringworm cure remedies
The case of an American 10 year old school boy who suffered from Tinea Corporis ringworm for nearly 4 years consistently has been studied at The University of Virginia, School of Medicine. The case highlights the fact that many types of ringworm cure remedies need to be continued for weeks despite the rash going away completely. In this case, the young patient was put on a ringworm cure regime consisting of multiple topical agents and oral medicines (Terbinafine sprinkles of 250mg daily for 6 weeks along with topical Ketoconazole cream applied on the infected region. Antifungal powder was also asked to be dusted inside socks, shoes and roller skates.)
The ringworm might occur due to different species of fungi
In another study in the United States, as per an article in Paediatrics, treatment resistant ringworm is getting very common in school aged children, mainly in African Americans. Apart from the usual fungal spores that cause ringworm, another fungus called Trichophyton tonsurans (T. Tonsurans) is also responsible for the occurrence of this skin condition in kids including those living in the metropolitan areas. In the past, only the Microsporum species was the main cause of ringworm and it mainly spread from animals to humans. However, today, the T.Tonsurans is the leading cause of Tinea infections and is harder to screen and treat. The study conducted on nearly 10,000 children in the US also showed that nearly 6.6% kids had this infection which led to symptoms like itchy scalp, scaly skin or even permanent hair loss. Additionally, the treatment resistant ringworm showed no response to any of the normal ringworm cure remedies affecting the child’s self esteem. In many cases, the T.Tonsurans spores worsened asthma and led to allergic rhinitis.
The experts conducting the survey concluded that T.Tonsurans has “learned how to stay on top of the game” by not getting eradicated completely. Naturally such treatment resistant ringworm can be extremely frustrating and difficult to cure.
So what is the best possible ringworm cure in case of treatment resistant ringworm infections?
- Always start by having the skin condition evaluated by an expert.
- A course of oral antifungal medicines usually shows positive results in 6-8 weeks in eliminating most ringworm infections, but parents should note that even kids taking the antifungal medicine are still highly likely to spread the disease to other healthy children around them.
- Naturally, as most kids carry this pathogen, it is best to use the ringworm cure for as long as prescribed while ensuring below mentioned precautionary measures.
Precautionary measures to take while on ringworm medication
- Parents must limit sharing the items used by their infected children including combs, hats, brushes and pillows etc.
- They must also watch out for initial signs of the infection such as flaking (that looks like dandruff), white patchy scaling, pus-filled bumps, and hair thinning or hair loss especially if a child has come in contact with other children having ringworm.
- Make an immediate appointment with a doctor if you suspect your child having treatment resistant ringworm. The doctor will prescribe the right oral ringworm cure remedy along with medicated shampoos and creams to be used up to 3 times a week.